Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Bye Bye Chiang Mai (for now)













Alas, we begin our final hours in Chiang Mai before a 12 hour bus ride to Khon Kaen. That begins the next leg of the journey into Laos. I wonder if the orchids will continue to be so spectacular. I've never had much luck with them at home. I agree with Francis - they make me mad and shouldn't get any special treatment. Nope, they should be treated exactly the same way as the rest of the plants. (Perhaps that's why mine always die.)

Francis has greatly enjoyed strolling about, taking photos. (Again his skills are far superior to mine.) The tree photo is a banyon tree. The Thais place their old spirit houses here when they upgrade. We've been told it's alright to take them once abandoned. But that advice came from a farang, and it feels a little sacrilege to me.

My best purchase of the trip has been my little brelly. My little pixie friend was absolutely right when she insisted it's best to make one's own shade. The Thais get a kick out out of it too. They think we all want to be tan. Tan is alright. I just simply don't do it. Just various shades of pink for me. My ancestors are from cold, dark places.

We hope you enjoy the random photos. There's not much I can tell you about all of them. I think Francis loves those the best. And to be perfectly honest blogging feels too much like work for him to be too interested right now. Perhaps we can coerce him later.

We also had a darling chat with some schoolboys who interviewed Francis to practice their English. Just when I think we may be on the "take" again, some random act of kindness takes place, and I fall in Love with Thailand all over again.

Of course I also wanted include a shot of me with Pom. He completed my tattoo yesterday. (This time I did not pass out.) I did choke back a few tears at the end. He was so terribly kind and gentle, and took great care to maintain the integrity of Nate's cherry blossoms since the pieces are now all entwined. I'm going to make you all wait until the healing process is further along before I post shots of the finished product. It's simply spectacular.



1 comment:

Erica Leigh said...

ah,I cannot wait to see the finished tattoo...pray tell, what was the nature of the interview questions?

everything well on the hill, both kitties are sleeping in bed with me now. Another month and they'll be snuggling each other and kicking me out to the couch!

be well, can't wait to see Laos.

love e