Thursday, August 30, 2007

Judgments, observations, and descriptions

Still in Chiang Mai. We have visited the best museum we've seen so far. The house to the left is Lana Style. The Buddha is pretty self explanatory. I felt much more comfortable taking photos of the exhibits in the museum. I find it unsettling to treat the locals as though they are some sort of curiousity.




The scenic gem to the right is the view from the baronesses back yard. I'd run off the mafia with my foul mouth too if I were responsible for caring for this. (My apologies that little of this blog this seems to be following much of a chronological order. I keep finding more wowee photos on the camera.

And here we have the creme de le creme. This is the initial installment of my Thai tattoo. I return for the color on Monday - and potentially some negotiations with Pom's business manager who is a shrewd business partner. I also have yet to determine if my negotiation skills will be any sort of match with hers. But isn't this koi lovely? (Mother, I know you have different thoughts.)
When we left for this journey I had in mind to work on my judgmentalism, a trait so blatantly pointed out by my former employer. So, I am "observing my judgments" (how very DBT for those of you in the know). But then I wonder what exactly is the difference between a judgment and an observation and a description. If I describe the Americans in Starbucks as loud (and they were). That is an description, an observation, and a judgment. If I describe the weather as warm and observe the fact that I am sweating profusely - then I am judging this country as pretty damn hot. How then am I to free myself from judgements?
As I try to be more Buddhist in my living I will say that I am doing a good bit better at embracing suffering. About 3o minutes into my tattoo I fainted (the pain and heat did me in). Pom was lovely and patient and gracious about my exceeding embarrassment. I'm certainly no virgin to tattoos.

No comments: