Monday, August 27, 2007

Random Musings by AC

Disclaimer: the following thoughts are strictly those of Amy. I imagine Francis would disagree with me on the finer points of some of what I'm about to say and the greater points of others. Just need to make that clear.

I am a truly lousy photographer and have yet to manage the finer points of blogging layout, so this posting is strictly words. However, I know that my beloved friends and fam are all literate. I also like to fancy that the things I have to say are just as interesting as the pictoral documentation.

Capitalism. As a social worker I've maintained strong feelings about capitalism and a firm disbelief in the "invisible hand of the market." However, I've recently begun to recognize how bizarre it is to travel in a land devoid (in many but not all ways) of the capitalist ways. The Thais appear to live for today. For this moment. There seems to be such little concern for stocking away bits for a nest neg or worrying about tomorrow. They make enough money to live for the day or the moment -then it's all about resting, relaxing, enjoying food, life and family. Work day is done. Sound lovely until you're an American who is hungry for lunch at 2:00, and every restaurant is closed from 2-5 PM. Or you want to return to a store and buy something you saw yesterday and the store is closed because the lucky money has already been accumulated for the day.

On a lighter note, let me extole the virtues of tiger balm. It works wonders on itchy mosquito bites and when placed under the nose can divert the smell of urine when you've been unfortunate enough to be assigned the backseat of an aircon bus with a toilet. I guess it's sort of what medical professionals do when performing autopsies.

And then there are the toilets. Americans are spoiled. Okay - maybe not spoiled. I like to think of it is simply hygenic. If you find a toilet with tp - you're in in great luck. (I carry my own - just in casey.) If there's soap, I do a happy dance. But I NEVER dry my hands on the towels. They're not paper towels, but hand towels stiff with days of use. Air drying is fine by me. European toilets seem to be in greater abundance than when we've traveled here before. But I am quite pleased with myself because I have mastered the squat toilet without peeing on my feet. (Sheri will understand that one.) A true sign of a seasoned SE Asian traveler!

We've parted ways with Margaret. She was lovely, and we had a lovely time and met some remarkable Dutch expats - doing the good work - involved in political actions to free Tibet and in helping the hilltribe cultures to learn English and preserve their heritage. The straw for me with Margaret was a lively debate on race relations in the US. I cringe any time any conversation is punctuated by statements like "I'm not racist, but they're just so lazy." "Slavery was 200 years ago. They should just get over it." I will not step on my soap box here. But I find it curious that a woman who has limited experience with African Americans and poverty has such strong views. OK. it's not curious. It's typical. And it breaks my heart that when I am so impassioned that I have difficulty articulating what I have witnessed - the failure of public education, the ongoing segregation of neighborhoods, and the fact that schools are funded by public tax dollars. So, if you're poor - your options are limited, and your education is crap. Anyone ignorant enough to argue that racism is dead in America isn't paying attention.

OK. So this blog is supposed to be about our SE Asian adventures. I'll return to that. Francis has been increasingly pleased with the food choices. We found a lovely Italian restaurant in Chaing Rai - Il Pirata (where we met Margaret). Homemade gnocchi and pesto that he grows himself. And wine. Sweet wine. Our terrible Indian food experience was erased by Arabia Restaurant where the curry burned my lips for 3o minutes after the meal. Tonight we'll dine at Aum - a veggie place with Khao Soi that I've been dreaming about for days.

I'll try to get more photos posted soon. We have some curious shots of bizarre art, and an elephant fountain for my dearest Aery Fairy. Lots of love to all of you!

No comments: