Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Farewell to Laos




So, we decided that we really ought to engage ourselves in some of the tourist attractions around about Luang Prabang before heading out of Laos. We booked a half day tour to the waterfall. What a strange adventure in turned out to be! We decided to hike to the top of the falls. Bless my Chaco sandals and the hiking training afforded to us in the Pacific Northwest. It was slippery, a skosh treacherous, and super-duper wet. It was impossible to take photos during the hike as the rain and spray from the falls lapped at us. But here we are after making it safe and sound back to the bottom. I'm glad we opted out of the swimming portion of the day as the river was full of leeches.

Apparently our half-day waterfall adventure also included a "tour of a local village." Said tour involved pulling over at the side of the road and stopping in front of 15 little girls all lined up and selling bracelets while calling "Buy! Buy! Buy! 5,000 buy!" As the girls chirped their "Buy! Buy!" song (sums up their view of Westerners) the boys went ahead and staged a cock-fighting show for us. Can you think of anything a social worker and 2 vegetarians care to see less?



The remaining shots in this post include (completely out of order as I still can't properly format this blog):

1) a street view of a restored French colonial mansion in Luang Prabang, Laos.

2) Francis' garnish from dinner at the Blue Moon cafe (where I was convinced it was my stunning beauty making the servers nervous. Their hands shook with each thing they laid in front of us. Eventually I realized the nerves had nothing to with me or my stunning good looks. The restaurant had just re-opened after a month off, and the Swiss owner was supervising their every move.)

3) View from the top of Phou Si, most sacred hill in Luang Prabang - a good climb at 300-plus stairs.

4) Francis and I (separately) descending from Phou Si. That pensive look on my face is masking a grimace of heat and fatigue. Even my sweat was sweaty.

Next stop for the Migrant Monkeys is Vietnam. We land in Hanoi early this evening. Flight 313. Laos Airlines. (Best not make the news.) I'm not nervous about flying in a 12-seater prop plane or anything...

No comments: